Thursday, May 3, 2012

Pantry Basics

I've had a very lazy day. I called in sick to work after being struck down by another awful cold. It feels like I only just got over the last one. So I spent most of the day either sleeping or wiping my nose. By late afternoon though, I was getting really bored, so I took the time to compile a pantry basics list to make doing our shopping a lot easier.

We've gone from doing a weekly shop last year, to a fortnightly one, and recently I've attempted to make it a monthly chore. However I've found myself popping down to the store to pick up things I'd forgotten so hopefully this list will nip that in the bud. We don't tend to plan our meals out in advance, preferring to work with what's in the cupboard and with what vegetables are cheap at the market each week.

Both of us work 6 days a week and often each eat both lunch and dinner at work, so we tend to make basic meals that freeze well. Things like fish pie, luau, pasta bake, lasagne, bolognaise, vegetable crumble, quiche, soups and pizza. Stock standard fare that is easy but it can get a little boring and probably isn't the healthiest. This month I'm going to make more sushi and stir fries.

So here's the list. I'm going to print it out and have it on the fridge so I can circle what we're low on come shopping day.

Do you keep a list like this, write a shopping list or just wing it at the supermarket?


Pantry essentials


Dry Goods
Baking
Dairy
Pasta – lasagne sheets, spaghetti, other
Rolled oats
Milk powder
Rice – brown, white
Yeast
Easiyo yoghurt sachets
Lentils – brown, red
High grade flour
Butter
Chickpeas
Standard flour
Margarine
Kidney beans
Wholemeal flour
1kg block cheese
Barley
Corn flour
Pets
Nuts
Baking powder
Fish food
Breadcrumbs
Baking soda
Rabbit food
Cous cous
Dried fruit
Oxygen shell
Stir fry noodles
Icing sugar
Vege market
Bulk bin soup mix
Brown sugar
Eggs
Vege stock powder
Sugar
Potatoes
Tinned goods
Caster sugar
Onions
Tomatoes
Coconut
Garlic
Baked beans
Vanilla
Seasonal fruit
Tuna
Golden syrup
Seasonal veges
Smoked fish
Cocoa
Luxuries
Tomato puree/paste
Custard powder
Quinoa
Coconut cream/milk
Mixed spice
Parmesan
Corn
Herbs/spices/sauce/oils
Feta
Cleaning/toiletries/kitchen
Tomato sauce
Blue cheese
Toilet paper
Soy sauce
Ricotta/cottage cheese
Soap
Sweet chilli sauce
Juice
Dishwashing liquid
Curry paste
Nori sheets
Bleach
Salt
Wasabi paste
Dish cloths
Peppercorns
Rice wine vinegar
Laundry powder
Mixed Herbs
Pastry
Snaplock bags
Cinnamon
Capers
Clingfilm
Cumin
Sundried tomatoes
Tinfoil
Cayenne pepper
Olives
Baking paper
Turmeric
Tortillas
Steelo
Curry Powder
HP sauce
Tooth paste
Paprika
Chocolate chips
Tooth brush
Cooking oil
Crackers
Roll on deodorant
Olive oil
Vogels/other bread
Cotton buds
Balsamic Vinegar
Corn chips
Tampons
White vinegar
Condensed milk
Council rubbish bags
Malt vinegar
Evaporated milk
Lighter
Wine vinegar
Dinosaur lollies
Drinks
Mustard
Wine
English breakfast tea bags
Minced ginger
Chocolate
Herbal tea
Lemon juice

Coffee (for plunger)
Lime juice

Spreads
Chilli powder

Honey
Worchestershire sauce

Marmite
Oyster sauce

4 comments:

  1. we write a shopping list too, but we also write things that are low on our fridge and if we take something from our food storage we replace it. i could never wing it at the supermarket, grocery shopping would be way more expensive an meals for the week would be unorganised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I find when I wing it I spend more and the shopping takes so much longer as I wander aimlessly. When my old flatmate was here I used to write the list in the order we'd find it at the supermarket, split it in half, and then we'd take half each and race to beat each other to the check out. We were always under budget back then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol that sounds like fun. We have different sections on the page, like I've section for fruit and veg, I've for frozen/fridge and stuff it's great. I can't remember if I told you but I remember you wrote a post about using milk powder ages ago, we started using it too, even though milk is cheap here we buy it for our store cupboard and thought we might as well use it otherwise it's be expired and we'll have to chuck it out... It's fun having it in a glass bottle too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. stupid predictive text... Not I've, but one section... ONE hahaha

    ReplyDelete