Monday, June 13, 2011

Snapper: in pictures

The parents dropped by last weekend bringing with them a stash of snapper fillets for my freezer. Yum! I cooked some up tonight with garlic chips on the side and a winter salad of cabbage, brocolli, spinach and celery with a blue cheese sauce. It was the first time I've battered a fish in anything other than beer. I had to hunt for a recipe due to not a drop of beer to be found in the house. Shock, horror. That was never a problem when flatting with males - there was at least a can of double brown to be found down the back of the fridge if you were truely desperate. The wine rack is looking rather full though, but wine-battered fish...??? Maybe experiment on something a little less yummy than snapper in case I fudge it up!

CRISPY BATTER - FROM THE EDMONDS COOKBOOK

1/4 cup cornflour
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
Oil for frying

Sift it into the bowl. Gradually whisk in milk until it forms a smooth batter (duh). Dip the fish into it, and fry until golden.

NB: paraphased that a bit.

No beer batter, but not half bad.
Anyway, last time I was up North we spent a day fishing up the Coromandel. Unfortunately I didn't catch A SINGLE THING!!!!! Luckily my dad caught enough for all of us. That's when I took these pictures. (No pictures of tonight's feed because I couldn't wait to dig in!)









No comments:

Post a Comment