Thursday, June 2, 2011

Lesapī mo le sapasui



Samoan feed at a festival a couple of years ago

It's samoan language week so to celebrate I thought I'd share the chop suey recipe I got given in my samoan night class a couple of weeks ago.

ani ani, ani ani saina, fiu, ga'o, lialia, sosi, fasipovi/fasimoa/fasipoa'a, masima ma pepa
onion, garlic, ginger, oil, vermecelli, soy sauce, beef/chicken/pork, salt and pepper (to taste)

  • Tipi ma fufulu le fasipovi. Fa'asosi ma tu'u i le pusa aisa. Cut and wash the meat. Soy sauce it (put on enough to induce a heart attack, and then add some more) and put it in the fridge.
  • Falai le aniani, aniani saina, fiu ma le fasipovi ile ga'o. Fry the onion, garlic, ginger and meat in the oil.
  • Sasa'a le vai vevela i le lialia. Pour the hot water on the vermicelli.
  • E vela loa le fasipovi sasa'a iai le lialia ma saeu. When the meat is cooked, add the vermicelli and stir.
  • Fa'apuna ma tī i lalo le ogaumu. Bring it to the boil then lower the heat. 
  • E vela loa le lialia, tapē le ogaumu. When it's ready, turn off the heat.
 
Here's some I made with red cabbage, choko and mixed veges instead of meat.

If sapasui isn't your cup of tea check out Robert Oliver's Me'a Kai for some tasty, Pacific-inspired cooking. I so want that cookbook - if only it didn't come with a $70+ price tag (ouch!).

I'll leave you with this Samoan sunrise...because it is so darn pretty!

The lagoon at Tafitoala, taken by me 2 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment