Saturday, March 10, 2012

March garden update

It's just gone 11 and I'm already in bed. I nodded off on the couch earlier but forced myself to get the dishes done, put washing away and sweep the floor before bed. I'm trying really hard at the moment to do those three things every night before bed and to do one other cleaning job each day so my one day off a week can be spent doing fun things like cooking and knitting rather than tidying. So far it's working. 

I decided to tackle the garden when I came home this evening. I managed to convince pommy flatmate to join me out there instead of watching telly. We pulled out a lot of the summer crops like corn, and planted lots of winter veges - beans, peas, more carrots, leek, kohlrabi, kale...

I thought a cat had been digging up the garden so I've purchased some netting to go over it. However today my carrots were also dug up and there was a small plastic trowel left next to them so I think my 'cat' is in fact the neighbours' kids. How annoying.

I sprinkled hay over the soil to hopefully prevent cats from digging up
the newly planted seed.
The new netting should hopefully keep kids out. 
Here's a picture of our summer's corn harvest. So pitiful. I don't think I'll be bothering next year. 


The carrots, however, are doing alright, if a little on the ugly side. Tomorrow we'll be having snapper caught by my dad with corn, beans and salad from the garden. Can't wait. 

Spot the caterpillar. I'm waging a war on them at the moment but they
always seem to be a step ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment