Friday, March 16, 2012

Cape gooseberries

This week I've been eating Cape Gooseberries from my garden. I only put in one plant, not knowing how big it would get or how much fruit I'd get off one plant. It was a spontaneous buy as I'd never really eaten the fruit before discovering it in Northern Peru (the country it originates from) although apparently it's pretty common in gardens here. 

Next summer I'll put more plants in as I only have enough fruit for eating, not for any baking, jam or cocktails....

Here's a cocktail recipe I found which combines cape gooseberries with one of my favourite spirits, pisco.

 

2 comments:

  1. We used to have gooseberries when I was a kid and I'd love to plant it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think around now is when you are supposed to plant the seeds to have them ready for next summer...

    ReplyDelete