Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Postcard from Wellington: Te Papa Tongarewa

Well there is a new exhibition at Te Papa and it is AWESOME! 

Early encounters

I was lucky enough to head along for free the other night after going to a (also free) lecture series where I learnt all about chicken DNA and all sorts of other interesting things linking Polynesians to South America - in a 'they sailed there in their boats, dropping off some chooks and bringing back a few baskets of kumara' kind of way. So interesting. I'll see if I can find a link to post to some of the research being done; it's been on the news a bit recently. It's a new frontier of Pacific research which was what the themes of the lectures were all about. 


Anyway the Oceania exhibition is wonderful. The pieces on display are beautiful, interesting, amazing, thought-provoking (in a how-the-heck-do-they-weave-that-massive-ie-toga-1mm-thin sense)..... 
I particularly loved the warrior body armour from Kiribati complete with puffer fish helmet. 

The plan for this weekend is to see the sister exhibition at the City Gallery and perhaps hit the Frank Kitts market if I can keep my wallet in my pocket, and only stroke and fawn over the yarny goodness on display. Actually, probably best to leave my wallet at home. I have no self-restraint when it comes to knitting yarn and way too big of a stash already!


Hmm I believe it's grown since these photos were taken about 6 weeks ago. Whoops! Bring on November and uni-free knitting time.

No comments:

Post a Comment