Sunday, April 10, 2011

the mother of all haircuts


Mendoza, Argentina. We are sitting outside a restaurant with an almost empty bottle of sauvignon blanc in front of us (possibly after an afternoon biking around the vines, tasting more wine than was good for us). For some reason it seems a good idea to decide to shave our heads to raise money for charity next year.

Wellington, New Zealand. 5 months later. The Leukemia and Blood Foundation's 'Shave for a Cure' week is upon us and it's time to shave off my hair, which is now sitting below my shoulders and straightened for the occasion. I realise then how much I like having hair but it's too late now to back out. Notice how I say I, but 5 months ago it was a "we" shaving our heads. I won't name names, but we'll take it as further evidence that kiwis are made of sterner stuff than those from the motherland.

A few minutes in the chair, over $600 in donations later and here is the result. 


Before

After
 
Can't say I'll ever do it again. On the positive side I will save a lot on shampoo and spend way less time getting ready to go anywhere. However, I will probably also remain single for the next year as the hair-do kind of screams 'butch'. I now also know who Sinead O'Connor is. I could've quite happily gone the rest of my life not knowing this though.

Mostly I'm thankful that I had the choice to do it, and that I could raise money that may help people who don't have that choice. And I'm speaking of those with Leukemia and other blood conditions not males suffering from premature hair loss, although I now emphasize with you too.
I'm about to cast on a hat made of beautiful angora yarn from the Shearing Shed. Bald head = best excuse ever to knit lots and lots of hats.



No comments:

Post a Comment