Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Week so far

I am tired. I had big plans to make relish, perhaps do some baking, rearrange my room and watch the latest episode otf Bones tonight but as the clock edges closer to 10.30pm I think I'll be a nana and go to bed instead. The way my roster has fallen, I get to work 8 days before having a day off so best to start the week off slowly.

Yesterday I had a great around-the-house day. I cooked two family sized shepherd's pies for the freezer (one meat, one lentil), made pizzas, cooked a whole heap of chickpeas and lentils from dry for the freezer, did the gardening and sanded back a stool. Oh and knitted an entire booties. Mumsie success.

Tonight we conquered some more of the movie challenge by seeing American Pie the Reunion. It was so-so. I actually laughed quite a lot though I won't be admitting that in front of some of my serious movie buff friends :-)
The glass of Mt Difficulty Pinot Noir and arrancini at the pub beforehand wasn't half bad either.

Just now I've booked myself back into Samoan classes which will start in May. I did the first 3 courses last year and it was so much fun so I've decided to redo the second course at least. I feel that language learning engages a completely different part of my brain, makes me more accepting and understanding towards others and is a great way to meet a whole range of people from all walks of life. In my class last year we had a movie producer, stay at home mums, nurses, backpackers, retirees etc etc. Somebody actually brought her newborn daughter along to class with her - that's dedication. The tutor was a right laugh as well so I'm really looking forward to getting back into it. Plus it gives me a good excuse to have a guaranteed night off work each week.

Other than that I've not been doing much since I got back from holiday a week ago. I have tried out a couple of recipes in the bread maker but I've found them both to be a little disappointing. The first was hot cross bread (too lazy to make buns) and the second a plain white loaf. The white loaf tasted alright for breakfast but didn't rise much at all and there was none of the fun of kneading the bread and waiting for it to rise before kneading it again. It was very convenient though. Pizza dough in the bread maker, however, was a raging success. It's going to become a week night staple I reckon!

Yummy pizza with homemade cashew pesto, sundried tomatoes, capers and cheese

disappointingly flat bread

No comments:

Post a Comment