Friday, February 17, 2012

Planning a holiday

One of my absolute favourite things to do is to book holidays. Whether they are real holidays I'm taking or the elaborate imaginary holidays I have planned in my head while doing dishes or rolling pastry at work. You could probably name any country in the world and I'll probably tell you what I'd like to do there and whereabouts that stop would be in a backpacking itinerary or the more luxurious 'if-I-won-the-lotto' itinerary.

I did have a holiday planned out for the end of March and my leave booked but there's been a change of plans (and not as much money in my bank account as I'd like) so I see that happening towards the end of this year instead. With 8 days of leave already booked I had a choice of cancelling it and working right through (the sensible option) or travelling somewhere domestically.

Heading up north to see the family was an obvious choice but I've decided to combine it with a trip to Rotorua as I haven't been there for years. So after Rotorua I'll hit the farm for a few days before staying with a friend who's just bought a house for a catch up and a chance to do some gardening in a garden much bigger than my own, before ending the trip in Auckland to visit the zoo and hopefully a yarn store before flying back home.

With a budget of $500 max in mind, here's what I have planned so far...

Bus to Rotorua = $22
Night in a hotel = $62 (deal!)
Polynesian Spa = $25
Grade 5 rafting and gondola/luge = $115
Total = $264

Transport to the farm = free
Accommodation on the farm (4 nights) = free
Food/drink on the farm = free
Day trip to Tauranga = free
Total = free

Transport to Huntly = $5.70
Accommodation in Huntly (2 nights) = free
Total = $5.70

Transport to Auckland = $13
Accommodation in Auckland (2 nights) = free
Auckland Zoo (museum if it's raining) = $22
Bus/ferry transport = $25
Movies = free
Flight home = $73
Total = $158

And the total is.... $402.70

Which leaves $97.30 for all food/drinks/spending money if I've done my maths right. 9 nights. That's doable considering 4 of them are at my parents which means free food. 4 nights are being spent with friends and aunts/uncles who I'd normally buy a bottle of wine for to say thanks but perhaps I could take up some home baking and jam as a thank you instead. I'm limited on shopping by taking carry on only on the plane so my trip to the knitting store can't cost too much either. I'll also take along a thermos and tea bags and mostly eat from the supermarket or a cheap bakery. Definitely doable.

The big positive is that I've worked enough public holidays to get paid for most of the days I'm holidaying. That's the rent taken care of. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment