Saturday, January 14, 2012

Something out of next to nothing meals

When we were tidying the lounge today I realised just how many cookbooks I own. Some are more well thumbed than others, some have copped a few food spillages or torn pages, and a few mostly sit there waiting patiently for a special occasion. There's so many more I'd love to own too. I can spend a happy half an hour perusing cookbooks at Moore Wilsons.

Most days while I eat breakfast I'll browse through one looking for inspiration or just salivating over the pictures. Half are probably written by Annabel Langbein and Alison Holst as their recipes are so reliable. But the reality is that 90% of the time I don't use a recipe but rather see what I can make with whatever is in the pantry.

Today was definately a day for making something out of nothing much. We haven't done a proper grocery shop since before Christmas and vege market day is tomorrow. First up was banana and strawberry muffins made with strawberry pancake sauce (strawberry jam made by my flatmate that didn't set properly). These will get chucked in the freezer to take to work for lunch. Tomorrow I'll make another batch of apricot and almond with tinned apricots. Next up was bread as we are all out. My basic recipe makes enough for 3 loaves. And finally pasta bake for dinner.

Lea blogged about her pasta dish recipe the other day so I thought I'd share mine. It's vegetarian but meateaters will barely realise.

Cook pasta as usual. I use whatever is in the pantry. Today was macaroni. Once it's done put it in a lasagne dish.

Next make the tomato sauce. Fry garlic  (2-3 cloves) and onion (used spring onion today instead) in olive oil. Add one tin of tomatoes to the pan with a glass of red wine (or water), 2 tbsp tomato paste or sauce, soy sauce, 1 vege stock cube, salt, pepper, sugar and 4 tbsp red lentils. Simmer until the lentils are cooked and sauce has thickened. At the end of its cooking time add a large handful of chopped herbs from the garden (parsley, basil and oregano).

While that's cooking, make the white sauce - just a normal white sauce. I probably use about 50g butter, 3 tbsp flour and heat that for a minute, then add 2 cups milk. Season with salt and pepper and 1 tsp nutmeg.

Tip the tomato sauce onto the pasta and stir it up. Add some thinly sliced vegetables and stir them in too. I use whatever is in the fridge or in this case the garden so courgette and spinach today. Mushrooms are good too.  Then pour over the white sauce and top with grated cheese and a bit of parmesan too if you have it. Bake for about 20 minutes and then serve.

So easy and so yum. Tomorrow I'll make pizza bases for the freezer and make one up for lunch. The basil is doing well at the moment so it'll be simply that and cheese with a garlicy tomato sauce and perhaps with some capers if we have room in the budget at Pak n Save. That's my favourite pizza flavour. So simple and so delicious.

Righteo I'd better go. Buque is getting ever more curious and comfortable inside the house so I have to watch him constantly to stop him chewing cords and sneaking off into the bedrooms. We really need to buy him a playpen to keep him out of mischief.

No comments:

Post a Comment