Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Problems in the garden

First I'll start on a good note with everything that is good about the garden this week.
  1. We're eating salad greens every day.
  2. The peas straight from the pod are plentiful and delicious.
  3. The beans are shooting up skywards and have pretty flowers.
  4. The courgettes are producing daily so I've stockpiled lots of recipes to use them up (from courgette and lemon muffins to courgette and parmesan soup and of course courgette and feta fritters).
  5. There's lots of fruit on the tomatoes even if it's still green.
  6. The cucumber has lots of tiny cucumbers on it.
  7. We are still picking strawberries and they are delicious.
However gardens being gardens I'm having a few issues this week.
  1. The slug slam pellets I've sprinkled on the garden to ward off the slugs have gone all furry. Perhaps from the humidity?
  2. The courgette leaves have gone all rusty.
  3. Some tomato leaves are yellowing. Time to spray it?
  4. The Cape Horn Gooseberry has grown so huge it's smothered to death a couple of strawberry plants.
  5. The neighbour's cat keeps digging up my pot plant. I haven't planted the seeds in it yet luckily but it's so annoying.
  6. The main plot is lagging behind its neighbour. The corn in it is a third of the height. Need to fertilise?
  7. The radishes and beetroot are running to seed really quickly.
At least any failures, Buquebus can eat. Speaking of himself, here's a picture of him enjoying a breakfast buffet of strawberry, apple and brocolli stalks a few moments ago. He's damn tricky to take a picture of though as he never fails to move at the last moment.



Alright better go. I need to go to work for my first shift back after munting my ankle. 8 hours standing on my feet. I'm so looking forward to it. Actually I've costed a new recipe for one pot raspberry and chocolate cupcakes that I'm looking forward to testing on some punters. Yum! (Thanks Annabel Langbein).

3 comments:

  1. Love the rabbit pictures! He is so cute! Quite a few frustrations. I found bird netting worked quite good keeping the cats out of my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute but so grumpy haha. He's running up and down his tunnel in the lounge at the moment. Thanks for the bird netting tip. I might have to give something like that a shot.

    ReplyDelete