Monday, January 16, 2012

Homemade

I've been really trying to avoid buying anything that I can make myself without too much difficulty.

Saturday's vege market had lots fruit for less than $1.50kg. So Saturday afternoon I spent hanging out next to the stove while my jam bubbled away. I've made several batches of jam in the past year and all have been tasty but this one definately takes the cake. I put a little on a saucer while it was cooking to see if it was thick enough and dipped a finger in to taste. "F%*# me", I exclaimed loudly. I don't normally swear but this jam tasted so amazing there was nothing else to say. I yelled at my flatmate to come give me a second opinion. She agreed. This jam was tasty. It has peaches, nectarines and plums in it but the flavour that comes through the strongest is apricot.

Cucumbers were also cheap - three for $2. I decided to have a go at making chutney (something I've never done before). I used a recipe from the Rural Women's cookbook. I heard somewhere that you should leave it for a few weeks before eating so the flavours develop so I guess I'll let you know if it's any good sometime in February.

For dinner I wanted to make something quick and easy that uses a lot of lettuce. We have a never-ending supply. Tortillas it was. They may not be the prettiest but they taste great and are so much cheaper to make yourself than buying a packet, not to mention way more fun.

My homemade weekend didn't stop with food. I had a go at making a facemask out of rolled oats, egg, honey and olive oil. It was a bit of a mess and we don't have a bath so I ended up sitting on the bathroom floor reading the nearest book (Harry Potter) while it did its thing for 15 minutes. Next week I might try an avocado thing.

Tonight I washed my hair with vinegar to get rid of residue build up. I learnt my lesson from last time and used plain white vinegar instead of cider. Last time it took days to get rid of the smell although my hair did look nice afterward.

And just a few minutes ago I got to try out a homemade rabbit pee cleaner. One towel quickly the chucked on it to soak up the worst + a heap of baking soda to soak up the rest and neutralise the smell + 5 minutes of vaccuming up all the baking soda + dabbing at it with a damp cloth and a bowl of warm water with baking soda and white vinegar. We'll see in the morning if there is a stain.

I think I'll have a go at Julia Child's mayonaise recipe tomorrow. Apparently it's also good to put on your skin.

1 comment: