Monday, October 31, 2011

A ponytail

This weekend I tied my hair up in a ponytail for the first time since I shaved it all off in April. It was the tiniest of ponytails, like the little tufts you see on babies, and I needed about 30 bobby pins and hairspray to hold it in place, but it was a ponytail nonetheless! I looked in the mirror and I actually looked like me for the first time in ages (rather than a stranger with an ugly fringe).

It has been 6 1/2 very, very long months for me with short hair. I am a naturally lazy person and short hair requires a lot of effort. Over the winter I could wear a beanie almost 24/7 to cover up my unruly tresses but now the sun's been out more often, it's a little too warm for headgear. Because I'd rather sleep in than allow time for a date with the hair dyer and styling product every morning I've looked a frightful mess for the past wee while.

So hooray for the beginnings of being able to chuck a hair tie in and head out the door. I am hanging out for the day I can once again french braid my hair but until then I will happily watch as week by week my pony tail grows longer and I need fewer and fewer pins to hold it all in place.

I can say right now that it will take something very special for me to ever shave my hair off again, even if it was for a good cause! And so I have huge respect for a blogging friend Lea who is shaving her hair off for the fourth time to raise money for the Child Cancer Foundation. You can sponsor her by clicking on this link. It's on my to-do list for this week. Such a worthy cause :-)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link Jess! I'm actually rather looking forward to my "haircut" :-)

    ReplyDelete