Thursday, October 6, 2011

O Le Tulafale

Tonight I have plans to watch The Orator or O Le Tulafale as it is called in Samoan. It's the first ever feature length film filmed in the Samoan language and New Zealand's first entry into the best foreign language film category at the Oscars.

I've been waiting for it to open for months, and finally the day has arrived! I am so excited.

It's set on beautiful Upolu Island where I am headed in just 6 weeks time (hooray for Pacific Blue happy hour and $90 each way fares to Samoa!).


People often ask me why I choose to learn Samoan of all languages. After watching the trailer, don't you think it just sounds beautiful?!

Hopefully my next post will be about how amazing it was. If you want to see it yourself, I know the best cinema in Wellington (otherwise know as Embassy Theatre) will be showing it for a couple of weeks at least. That best cinema part is not all bias either - it just got voted best by the Capital Times again :-)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great show! I didn't know you were learning Samoan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a fantastic movie. I highly recommend it. So beautiful. I learn samoan through Wellington high school - fun way to spend 2 hours a week

    ReplyDelete