Sunday, June 17, 2012

Dunedin

What a day. I slept most of the flight down but from what I did see, the South Island was blanketed in snow and frost. It is freezing here in Dunedin. Today I was wearing five, yes FIVE, merino tops/cardys under my goosedown jacket with two pairs of gloves, hat and scarf on and was till cold. 

A little chill wouldn't have stopped me from throwing myself into today though. I did a tour of the Otago Peninsula with Elm tours. The guide was great and I saw a royal albatross, lots of smaller albatrosses, NZ Fur Seals, sea lions, blue penguins and lots of gorgeous yellow eyed penguins. 

Boy was it windy. I can't remember the last time I was that cold - possibly after snorkling in Patagonia? Brrr.
I'm so in love with this town (city, I guess). It reminds me of Wellington with the pretty harbour and steep streets but with much older and more striking architecture. 

As my eyes are beginning to close on their own accord I'd better quickly upload some pictures and then hit the hay. Only almost 2 hours of sleep last night - just on the plane - and a belly full of Speights porter, vension, mash and Speights Old Dark gravy will do that to you. 

the railway station

View from the Octogen

Buildings around the Octogen

Foetal position fur seal pup

Mum, bub and bub's friend - NZ Fur Seals

Look what I found down on the rocks

Surfing Hoiho

Hoiho and its reflection

A sheep and a yellow eyed penguin

Aren't they just so cute?

Me wearing pretty much every merino shirt I own and still shivering, in front of sea lions on a  private Otago peninsula beach

Dinner - Speight's porter with taieri venison

Dessert of Old Dark ice cream at the Speight's brewery restaurant



No comments:

Post a Comment