Monday, August 13, 2012

Now that festival's over I'm day dreaming...

I can't believe that it's nearly half way through August already. The past couple of weeks have been a bit of a haze - work, sleep, eat and then work some more. Thankfully film festival is now over and I have my leave to look forward to in under a fortnight.

So this evening I sat on the couch with a cup of tea and lap top indulging in one of my favourite guilty pleasures - trip planning.

I got good deals on accommodation in Napier via the Naked Bus website. $15 a night for a dorm room with free pick up from the bus stop is pretty hard to beat. The money I'll save I'll end up spending eating out which beats staying in a private room and skimping on trying all the tasty local produce.

My first afternoon and the Saturday morning will be taken up with classes for Knit August Nights. I got sent through the materials list this week and have to knit four squares some time before then. I'm doing a classes on blocking and finishing projects which will be really useful, and one in which I'll knit a baby hat - the Aviatrix, a pattern I've been eying up for a while now.

I've booked myself on a tour of some wineries for the Saturday afternoon. It was $60 although I'm sure I'll end up spending more on a bottle or two. Apparently we'll visit 4 or 5 which are tailored on the day to the tastes and interests of the people on the tour so I'm looking forward to hopefully trying something different.

Of course it wouldn't be a holiday without indulging myself in some great food. I have a thing for reading menus and deciding what to eat before I even go. I'm eying up a venison starter at this restaurant for dinner followed by god knows which one of their mouth watering selection of desserts. Breakfast at this restaurant overlooking the water sounds like a good idea- I love how their menu really highlights local producers.

Somehow in amongst all this I'd like to fit in a walk or cycle along the coast and snacking on Rush Munro ice cream. That's got to be one of the greatest things to ever come out of Napier.

Then I'm off to Tauranga to see my grandparents and I'm not sure what they'll have planned but I'm hoping I can twist their arm and get them to take me to the cellar door of this winery located down the road in Bethlehem.

After that I'll be back home on the farm. While I'm there I'm hoping to steal the car and visit my old hometown (village) of Waitomo to visit one of the caves that I've never seen before - Aranui. It's supposed to be breathtakingly beautiful. I also haven't visited the new visitor centre built after the old one burnt down. While I'm out there I might have to pop into Huhu for lunch as well...it'd be rude not to.

I'm also lucky enough to repeat last year's one-in-a-life-time opportunity to see Sirocco the Kakapo by seeing him again! He's visiting the Waikato at the same time as me. Perhaps I'll also visit the Kiwi House to see the kiwis being feed in the afternoon. I haven't been there for years and years.

Can you tell I'm just a little bit excited?!

No comments:

Post a Comment